Sunday, November 24, 2013

Finally....a real barn!

We have lots of outbuildings on our property that we built as we needed something.  A chicken coop, a turkey pen and shelter, several goat shelters, a birthing area for new does, a milking area and a food storage area but we have never had a real big barn.  We finally decided to invest in one.  What was so scary; the day it was started was the day the government shut down.  I wondered if we should be spending that much money.  All kinds of what ifs ran through my mind.  What "if" this was it and it was going to be a shtf situation and our funds would be very low but the Lord gave me peace about it and I am now enjoying each step that is being accomplished.

The first day all of the holes were dug.  I would love to have this piece of equipment to dig fence post!











While one fellow dug the holes, the other two drilled holes in the bottom of each 8 x 8 post and drove in rebar.










After the holes were dug, nothing more could happen until the building inspector could come out.  Would you believe it was just to look in the holes to make sure there was no water????
Next was placing all of the 8 x 8 post and concreting them in the ground.











This crew was quick and efficient and it only took a few hours to accomplish setting all of the poles and for them to begin placing the trusses.










Once the trusses were bolted in place, the rafters were installed.  The barn is 48 x 36.   The eaves on the side are 14 feet and the center rises to about 20 feet.  This height will eventually hold a loft.  I cannot wait for all of this storage space!








The metal roofing went on next.












All the roof now completed.












Papa Bear thought his was a nice picture of it standing behind palms and Goldenrod.











We came to a standstill about 3 weeks due to not being able to find anyone to come out and give an estimate for concrete.  We want 720 square feet poured for a workshop, a milk and honey room and a feed storage room.  I used the yellow pages and set up an appointment with two companies.  They never showed up.  My neighbor found a sign for concrete work about 4 miles from us.  He did come out and left an estimate on the gate post late one night.  He must have been ashamed as I knew he was much too high.  We could have had the entire barn poured for what he wanted for the 720 sq ft.   Papa Bear and I were beginning to think we would just build wood floors.

 I finally thought to place an ad on Craig's list.  I figured if someone was out of work we could give them a job to do.  I made sure to tell them how far from town we were so I figured we'd get only serious offers.  My ad wasn't even up 20 minutes before I started getting calls.  The one young fellow and his two buddies we finally decided on was just trying to make a living....not a killing.

They started to work on it this past Tuesday afternoon.  The first day was leveling out the area.











The next day they started digging the footers and placing the forms.











The ground was then treated for termites.


















Papa Bear inspecting the work!












The little orange thing is called a chair that holds the rebar in place inside the footers.  Papa Bear said they used to use bricks but the building codes do not allow that any longer.  Seems to me the bricks would have been stronger than these little plastic pieces.








See that little white spot?  That is the drain that was installed for my milk and honey room.












Friday the concrete trucks arrived for the pour!












What a beautiful sight this was!











These 3 young men worked at this all day Friday.  The weather did not cooperate.  No sunshine at all after the concrete was poured so it was taking longer to set.









By late afternoon it was drying enough to start the final touches of smoothing it out.











Here is my drain for the milk and honey room....all concreted in! It has a thick paper coating over the top that is removed once the concrete dries.  This prevented concrete from going into the drain during the pour.








 All complete with wall anchors in place.  Now we wait for it to dry so we can start forming the walls.

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. I bet that cost a pretty penny.

    For some reason a barn doesn't seem to go with palm fronds to me though. The Goldenrod fits right in however :)

    Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP...We got several estimates before we started. So far what we've spent for the barn and concrete is $10,400.00 and please don't tell me it would have been cheaper in your area and burst my bubble!...LOL

      Our goats love the palm fronds when we trim up the trees. I don't think they will eat goldenrod though so once we get the fencing up it will probably just get trampled. There is plenty more for the bees. Our world turns solid yellow in the fall with the stuff. It's very pretty.

      Delete
  2. Mamma Bear,

    Very nicely done!!! I'm sorry to hear you had some frustration trying to find people to lay the concrete. Good thing these guys you found worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy....Now I can't hardly wait until we start forming the walls and putting up siding! Papa Bear and I will do this work if we're able....LOL

      Delete
  3. Mamma - me, jambaloney, the 3 cats, 76 boxes of books, a few personal items, some power tools and our food storage are piling into our 30 old van and driving down there pronto!!! we're moving into your barn!!!

    i am glad you finally found a crew of good workers! now get those walls up - we're on our way! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cone on down...By the time we finish the bottom and top we will have over 3000 sq ft!

      I have a friend in Germany who lives the old traditional way. They live above their animals in a home that resembles a pole barn. I figure when me and Papa Bear get to old to care for the Marine properly, we can just have a small apartment on the top floor of the barn and supervise the care of the Marine in the house. We may need an elevator by then...LOL Always helps to have a back-up plan! onward!

      Delete
  4. Gonna be a nice barn when it's finished! The price seems pretty resonable to me, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim..Happy Thanksgiving! I still read your blog from time to time, just don't have much more to add after I read the other comments! I imagine with all the research you do, you know a lot about pricing!

      Delete

Search This Blog