Saturday, November 23, 2013

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Yep...This is Thanksgiving Tom.  He is spending his last few days in a pen all his own eating corn, oats and alfalfa.  We will do the deed early Monday morning to be able to brine him until Thursday as he is a big boy and a couple of years old.   This should make him tender and juicy!  

Thanksgiving Tom has spent the past year in the goat pen.  The other Tom's do not like him for some reason and beat up on him constantly.  At one point he did not have many tail feathers remaining.  We will dry pluck him like the others.  I have found it is easy except for the wing tips.  I use a pair of needle nose pliers on the wings and they pull right out.  This saves us from boiling water and smelling those stinking wet feathers.

gobble gobble

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you guys harvested your own turkey. That's awesome, and I'm sure that it is tastier than the store bought ones. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving K and family!.. Yep...we have our own poultry supply of chicken and turkeys. I smoked one of the turkeys last week and it was outstanding. I've missed reading your blog but am running down my blog list trying to catch up some.

      Delete
  2. Mamma Bear,

    Oh he's beautiful, and should taste real good. I love fresh turkey, enjoy your meal.
    Happy Thanksgiving To Your Family, from My Family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, he is a beautiful bird. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful boy ! Of course, I have a history of saving them as a pet and buying one from the grocery store, which of course, defeats the whole point of raising them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane...I think he is beautiful too. We have a whole flock of these birds now and about 6 Toms so they need thinning out. I actually had to behead a small hen a couple of weeks ago. I smoked her on the grill and it was yummy!

      Delete
  4. Poor ole Tom. Have you ever tried tofu turkey? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) bahahaha

      Delete

Search This Blog