Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Caught My Frst Bee Swarm!!!

Yesterday when Papa Bear was cutting the weeds grass outside the bee yard he noticed some activity at one of our swarm traps. 


Rather than use the hole in the bottom they were going in and out of the gap that didn't quite pull to when we screwed the pots together.   We decided to give them another day and then get them tonight.  

We took two frames out of the center of a brood box and shook the bee's in.  They were a little angry so I calmed them with some smoke.



 The trap felt really light when I took it down from the post so I was surprised to see this many bees...Needless to say we were thrilled!

In just the day or two they were in the trap, they had built several small combs.  These were a few of the bees that didn't want to leave the comb until I tapped them hard on the top of the frames. We didn't get a picture but I cut the comb loose and rubber banded it to an empty frame and put it in the center of the brood box to encourage them to stay.

This is a beautiful sight to see!   I managed to shake out almost all of the bees into the hive.  There was about 5 or 6 still crawling around inside the top of the trap so we left it propped in front of the hive.  I'll fetch it early in the morning as it has some comb scraps with a little honey.  I don't want to take a chance on robbers.  I put an entrance reducer and will observe them tomorrow to see if a robber screen is needed.   I would not think so as there is nothing in there but the 3 small combs but this really is my first rodeo!

Macho Man Papa Bear didn't wear his bee suit again and got two stings in the tummy...  I wonder how many stings it is going to take before he decides to wear it?

19 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats, I can't wait to have my land and start bee keeping too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K...It is a fascinating hobby and I am having to learn as I go. The plus side is honey! I have 3 supers on my hive and 2 are already filled. If I get a chance tomorrow I am going to see if they have started to work on the third.

      Delete
  2. Very Nice indeed, congrats on the new hive!!!

    Now feed em syrup until they build out a full box. Down in your neck of the woods you prolly won't have to feed em as long though.

    If you keep catching swarms your going to need a lot more woodenware!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PP... I put a quart of sugar water in there for them. If they consume that fast I'll go to a bucket.

      Papa Bear is working on medium supers now. I think I may try those as an experiment if we are fortunate enough to catch another on!

      Delete
  3. Oh.. The good thing about swarms is that most of the bees are actual foragers/guards or at least very close already. Some of them of course will go back to nurse bees but they typically don't have issues with being defenseless for a few weeks. However after about 4 weeks they will hit a period were many are dying and the young haven't come up yet and then they are very vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep..that is right. We watched them about 30 minutes earlier today and saw them coming in and out. Some were loaded with pollen when they returned so we figured the queen was already busy in there.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh yeah!!!! I am loving these freebees! Especially since I managed to kill off one of the hives I had paid good money for!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks GS!We are thrilled to have another hive!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic!!!! Woot! Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katidids! It was a fun adventure...Can't wait to see if we get another!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!!! How exciting for you guys! I wish I knew more about bee keeping. I'm going to go to a class this fall and hopefully will get started next year ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly...We have great bee keeping classes when I get to attend. Hope you get one that teaches you a lot! On the other hand I have really learned the most from Pioneer Preppies advice and watching a lot of youtube videos..

      Delete
    2. You tube videos are the greatest and reading the bee keeping forums. The old guy who first taught me the basics pointed me towards the you tube video and he was like 90 years old and didn't even have a cell phone.

      Delete
  8. Mamma Bear,

    Now that's just totally exciting news! Soon you'll have all the honey you could ever ask for. I never considered making swarm traps and capturing my own bees. In the future, this is definitely something to consider when starting my own beehives (boxes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy!...I am still excited today. I think if I had to do all over again and know what I know now, I may would have just bought some hives or made them and put up traps and caught my own bees. Every year we would see several swarms go over our property so it is not like the bees aren't already here looking for a new home!

      Delete
  9. Mamma Bear, I am so sorry that Papa Bear got stung twice. Be careful ! Those bees can be tough little honey producers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane...He has a bee suit and has only worn it twice that I know of. I usually work the hives and he is there to hand me things as needed. I have been stung once in 11 months and that was due to the fact that I mashed one against my middle while holding a frame. A honey bee sting is nothing compared to a wasp or yellow jacket. After the initial sting mine only itched like a mosquito bite.

      Delete

Search This Blog