Monday, April 22, 2013

New Farm Critters

I put an ad on Craigs List for the baby turkeys that were hatching and also to sell turkey eggs.   One phone call I received was from a couple who raises pigs so I bartered.  I offered to hatch them turkeys for a couple of pigs that we could raise and later breed.

Papa Bear and I completed their pen and shelter and picked them up a few days ago.  They are both Babcocks .  The little white one has been named Miss Piggy and the black one is Kermit!

The goats have never seen such critters before and lined the fence.  It was funny.  They looked like an audience waiting on something to happen.   I did entertain them for awhile.  Miss Piggy had louse pretty bad on her so I tried to catch her and spray her with some medication but she was having none of it.  I finally just sprayed the stuff at her as she ran by me until I got her good and wet with the stuff.

Great Nephew thought they were pretty cool little critters and spent most of the day in the pen with them.  Hopefully this time next year we will have a bunch of Miss Piggy's and Kermit's.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Bartering is AWESOME!!! Miss Piggy and Kermit will make the cutest little ones ☺
    I like your spotted goat. My girl comes from a herd that had spots. I'm hoping she will have at least one spotted baby some day. I just need to get through this pregnancy first :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly...I can't wait for little piggies!

    My spotted girl has had 4 kids so far and none of them have spots like her. A couple has very faint spots but are barely noticeable. I wanted spotted babies too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with the pigs. It's time to get a couple more here, but I prefer to just get weaner pigs and only keep them 6 months, til they become bacon. I'm just not into all the work breeding/farrowing, work, etc. Six months is about all I can handle with pigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To begin with that was what I was going to do but then I thought just in case the economy gets worse I would like to have another source of meat. If all goes well I will have some for the freezer next year.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh yeah and sausage and ham and pork chops and butts and ......I gotta learn how to build a smokehouse!

      Delete
  5. Mamma Bear,

    Congratulations on your new pigs, I love to barter. It's better than using cash I say :-)

    Can't wait to see little piglet pictures soon! All this talk about bacon, sausage, ham, pork chops is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy.....I have found I like to barter too but I have only had the opportunity to do it twice. This year with the pigs and last year a fellow down the road who works as a deckhand during the summer traded his extra fish for our fresh eggs. We had some very nice seafood all summer long. There is no need in exchanging money with another when you both have what the other wants or needs. I think with where the US is headed we'll be doing a lot more bartering in the future. Squash, corn, beans and tomatoes anyone?

      Delete
  6. Its started!!! My goat has lost her ligaments completely today. Her udder is GIGANTIC and shes had some contractions! Im sooo nervous and excited, I might sleep in the barn tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO! I have slept in the barn before...bahahahaha You better run back in when you get through ooohing and awwwing and let us know about the new kid(s) on the block!

      Delete

Search This Blog