Sunday, February 12, 2012

Gifts from Nature

While setting fence post, Papa Bear found this turtle shell.  It had long been cleaned out by the creepy crawlies.  It fell apart when he picked it up and most of the thin shell that has the color had flaked off.  The sun had done a pretty good job of bleaching it out.

 At first GS and I thought we'd try to make a little stuffed body and glue the shell back together and then paint it.  But after fiddling with the shell I had another idea.



I painted the shell inside and out with black craft paint.  When that dried, I dry brushed brown craft paint on the shell.
I then glued the small piece with thick epoxy to seal the cracks and glued the bottom for a base for my new little ......

flower pot....I sprayed polyurethane to seal it all and then when that was dry.......








I planted a small cactus in it.  I think it turned out kind of cute.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is for me GS...I have never seen a planter from a turtle shell.

      Delete
  2. That is cute. Craft fair in your future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen...I did an craft show a long time ago with my woodwork. Our workshop has gotten piled so full, I can't even get to my tools. Papa Bear is working on a new barn so maybe someday........

      Delete
  3. i love it! and i like to do things like that with stuff i find in nature, too. thanks for sharing, Mamma. i have several big shells that i might be able to do a similar thing with!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! I would love to find a big shell and make another, but the size I did is about the only ones we find around here but I will be on the lookout. When you do one of yours make sure you post pictures. I love that kind of stuff too.

      Delete
  4. Very Cool! I might copy. I saw a turtle shell lying on the ground the other day in a field near my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do copy Kris...They really are cute and unique.

      Delete
  5. I love that Mama! If i am ever lucky to find one around here, I might copy it as well. It would look good in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JUGM, I wanted to put mine in the kitchen window but it was just a bit too big and I was afraid I would knock it off. I hope you find your own shell. I am going to scout the property soon and see if I can find another.

      Delete

Search This Blog