Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Fun and Games Continue....

Challenges just hasn't stopped here in the last few weeks.

Yesterday morning I decided to move some of the does and kids.  I thought I had the right kids with the right does...Nope, I had a bunch of screaming kids and mad does.  I finally got them back where they were to begin with.  Gave the doe who I've been treating for infection her shot and came inside to the computer to order more medications from Jeffers.  I also found some temporary collars (ID bands) that are assorted colors you can write on.  When they come in I will color code everyone. When I see a kid nursing and the doe is not shoving it away I will figure out who belongs with who.

After placing my order I went out to check on my doe who is due to kid any moment.  She doesn't look like she has any intention of giving up those kids any time soon.  I met up with Papa Bear and we walked around to the see the new pigs.  It has become a habit to count them all each morning to make sure they are all there.  Miss Piggy was nursing them.  When she got up and all the little piggies started running around I saw one of my worst fears.  One of the bigger piggies had been stepped on and had a gaping wound from his neck down and around to his shoulder.

Papa Bear got a loaf of bread to try to keep Miss Piggy occupied so I could get the baby out.  I finally caught the pig and handed him across the fence to Papa Bear while dodging Miss Piggy who was highly upset.  We got the little pig into the kitchen, threw an old towel on the table to "try" to lay him on so I could see how bad it was.  As little as this piggie was, he was strong and did not stop squirming. I have a suture kit here but when I pulled the huge patch of skin back it was very nasty with dirt and pieces of hay.   I was afraid I would not get all the trash out and cause a huge infection so I called my vet and left a voice mail.

By the time I had put on clean clothes I still had not had a call back from the vet so I decided to take him to the large animal clinic a little less than an hour from the house.  I called and told them what had happened and was on my way.  My niece told me not to worry about the Marine.  She would stay late if need be.

The vet assessed him and said she could fix him but he would require anesthesia, cleaning the wound and inserting a drain to drain off any infection and then closing the wound.  She said it would be approximately $200.00.   She also told us most people would just put that young of a pig down.  He is only 12 days old.    I looked at Papa Bear, he looked at me and then he told the vet to fix him.  She said to come back and pick him up between 4:30 and 5:00.  When Papa Bear went back to pick him up the bill was $165.00 a little less than we expected.   Gourmet Bacon for sure now! 

So Porky Pig is in the house in a large bin until I can take take the drain out in 5 to 7 days.  I will also have to give him a shot of Pen G every day for 7 days.  He hates the baby bottle.  I finally poured some milk in a pan and got him to drink a little of that.  If I can continue to get nourishment in him.  I think he will survive.

Now I must go and wrestle a goat for more milk.  Have a great day everyone!

9 comments:

  1. You an also use dog collars to match mom and babies...might be cheaper than ordering...just a thought....Love the pig and bottle pic...so cute...Sounds like you all have been busy hopefully soon it will slow a little for ya...tis that time of year though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homestead Lady. I ordered temporary colored collars. They were much cheaper than dog collars. I got 50 for $7.97 , I have 22 kids and 11 Does as of this morning. Yep the last one kidded and had two does. Yippee. Piggy which I have named Gourmet is eating from a dog dish now. I mixed baby rice cereal mixed thin with milk. He eats like a ...pig! LOL

      Delete
  2. OMG SAVE THE BACON!!!

    poor little piggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP...I have named porky pig Gourmet because he certainly will be Gourmet bacon now! He is doing pretty good but I haven't wrestled him down for that first shot yet. He's also bitten me twice. What is that old saying about biting the hand that feeds you.....

      Delete
  3. oh Mamma - i want to laugh and cry at the same time! you poor darlin'! you sure don't have a penchant for laying around on yer butt and doing nothing eh? oh, thanks for saving little gourmet bacon. as you say, he really WILL be gourmet!

    keep up all of the good work and i hope you get a sorta' day of rest...one of these days!!!! make sure to give The Marine a big hug and kiss from me and jam! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet kymber...the last doe kidded this morning. Sears came to fix my freezer, Gourmet ate almost all of his rice cereal and milk, the Marine got his "popcorn machine" delivered and the respiratory therapist has came out to instruct us on it's use. At the moment all is right in our little corner of the world!
      Love and hugs to you and jam!

      Delete
  4. Mamma Bear,

    Your piglet is a cutie, I would have saved him too!!!!

    Please give The Marine a big hug from your Okie friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhhh Sandy....We are just softies!..I know we could have bought about 3 more feeder pigs for what we spent on this one but this one was ours and I watched him being born and it was our first litter and any other excuse I can think of....hahahaha

      The Marine thinks it's funny that there is a pig living in the house!

      Delete

Search This Blog