Rather than use the hole in the bottom they were going in and out of the gap that didn't quite pull to when we screwed the pots together. We decided to give them another day and then get them tonight.
We took two frames out of the center of a brood box and shook the bee's in. They were a little angry so I calmed them with some smoke.
The trap felt really light when I took it down from the post so I was surprised to see this many bees...Needless to say we were thrilled!
In just the day or two they were in the trap, they had built several small combs. These were a few of the bees that didn't want to leave the comb until I tapped them hard on the top of the frames. We didn't get a picture but I cut the comb loose and rubber banded it to an empty frame and put it in the center of the brood box to encourage them to stay.
This is a beautiful sight to see! I managed to shake out almost all of the bees into the hive. There was about 5 or 6 still crawling around inside the top of the trap so we left it propped in front of the hive. I'll fetch it early in the morning as it has some comb scraps with a little honey. I don't want to take a chance on robbers. I put an entrance reducer and will observe them tomorrow to see if a robber screen is needed. I would not think so as there is nothing in there but the 3 small combs but this really is my first rodeo!