Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I will never boil another egg...

No...I didn't let the pot boil dry and blow them up. 

I did do that once when I was a teenager.  I put a couple of eggs in a pot to boil for my breakfast and then went to my room to get dressed.  I heard what I thought was two gunshots!  When I got to the kitchen my breakfast had exploded and was all over the walls and ceiling. I think it took me hours to clean up my Mama's kitchen.  Anyway...I digress.

While looking on the chicken forum, a person asked how do you boil and peel fresh eggs without them tearing to pieces.  I had tried every suggestion on that forum.  Put salt in the water, put vinegar in the water, put salt and vinegar in the water.  Let the eggs come to a boil and then take them from the heat.  Plunge them in cold water.  Put them in the refrigerator over night and then peel.  Nothing has worked for me.

If I needed to take deviled eggs to a gathering or prepare them for our dinner and snacks, I would boil 20 eggs just to maybe get 10 good ones.  It is frustrating. The list went on and on with all the suggestions I have tried and then I found.......

Steam them.... 

In all my years I have never heard of steaming an egg.   
 
Still doubting this method would work I decided to use a dozen eggs that has been in the refrigerator for about a week.  Even these, using my old method, would look mangeled by the time I was through.   But....let me tell you...... it worked.

 
One dozen perfectly peeled eggs!




I was still skeptical....Was this a fluke?  I decided to put it to the test.  I took one dozen more eggs that were gathered TODAY....... I got another perfectly, peeled dozen eggs.

Here's how I did it....
 I put my steamer basket that fits firmly on top of a boiler and added enough water in the boiler to come within one inch of the bottom of the basket.

I then placed one dozen very fresh eggs in the basket.




Cover with a tight fitting lid.  My stove is electric and I turned the heat to high.



 When steam forms, begin timing your eggs.  We like the yolks done.  Mine were perfect in 20 minutes.  


Place steamed eggs in a bowl of ice water.  You can begin to peel these at once.




I kid you not....Once you crack them and start peeling, the shell just slips right off.




 Use your favorite recipe and make you some deviled eggs.  And since I got so carried away..I made chicken salad and still have eggs we can snack on the next couple of days.  Good thing I have plenty of air freshener.......

31 comments:

  1. Very interesting tips ....... especially the last one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look perfect! I will have to give that a try! I don't have a steamer like yours but I have one of those steamer basket things that folds up that is metal. Do you think that would work? I'd probably only be able to put 3 inches of water in the pot before the water would touch the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure will work...When I found all the talk on the forum, I went and looked for more info and the fold up basket thingy is what was used in one of the articles I found. They let the eggs come to room temperature before they were steamed. I found this step unnecessary. Here is the link

      http://thekitchensgarden.com/2013/02/10/how-to-steam-eggs-no-need-to-boil-at-all/

      Delete
  3. You have no idea how excited I am to try this ! I have felt like quite the egg boiling failure, as I have heard "its ok, they still taste good" more times than I care to admit. Beautiful deviled eggs BTW

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty...I was so excited I wanted to keep on steaming eggs just to see what whole ones looked like! Mine always looked as if Edward Scissorhands had peeled them! It is probably my imagination but I think they even tasted better. Let me know how it works for you.

      Delete
  4. The last time I hard boiled eggs for a party they looked horrible!!!! I thought it was because they were fresher than store bought that made them hard to peel! Thanks for the info. I'm steaming them next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly..you gotta try it. It's the best thing since sliced bread!

      Delete
  5. The way I get boiled eggs fit to devil is to not use perfectly fresh eggs. Make sure they are about ten weeks old if you are getting them from your own hens. When I boil a dozen eggs, I know I will get 11 eggs, so I just bowl 13. After all, I want an egg right then. Even a broken eggs is good while I prepare a snack for others..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda...this method will allow you to use your perfectly fresh eggs...I promise! Try it and you will not want another 10 week old egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mamma Bear,

    I've never heard this before. I'm going to try this, I have 2 dozen extra eggs. Thanks for sharing, I love tips like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Sandy...It is the easiest thing I have ever encountered for peeling fresh eggs! I wish I had known this when I pickle eggs!

      Delete
  8. Mamma Bear, this is awesome, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome MM...Let me know when you try it!

      Delete
  9. Huh, go figure. I thought I was the only one left on earth who ALWAYS mangles boiled eggs! I will give this a try this weekend. Thanks for the hint and the encouragement that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chipmunk...You and I may be tied in first place for mangler of eggs but no longer if you steam them. It is so awesome that when I gathered eggs today I wanted to do it again but one can only eat so many deviled eggs....bahahahah

      Delete
  10. I have never steamed eggs.. can't wait!!! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynnie...I know you have a yard full of cute egg layers! Let me know how you like steaming those eggs!

      PS..Rudy is doing great! We are going to fence off another acre or two of brush and turn the boys lose to browse to their hearts content! All this frost keeps killing our small pasture but they are happy with the peanut hay for now.

      Delete
  11. Mamma Bear, Your eggs look wonderful. Congratulations on your win on Sandy's blog (Oklahoma Transient ) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane... I did not know I had won until I got an email notice of your comment....How exciting!

      Delete
  12. I wonder if you could use an electric steamer? I don't have a basket or anything like shown, but do have a fair sized steamer. Maybe I'll try it-if I do, I'll post back here to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read others were using an electric steamer but I don't have one of those! Let me know if it works out for you.

      Delete
  13. Oh my, I can't wait to try this method. Like you, I've tried every method. Vinegar, old eggs, new eggs, Rachel Ray's method and I still have ones that looks like I hit them with a lawn mower. Thanks for sharing~off to buy a steamer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth...This is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I no longed dread "boiling eggs" Steaming makes them perfect and you can peel a dozen in just a few minutes!

      Delete
  14. Using a pressure cooker works very well also...and is quicker...6 minutes usually does the trick. Using eggs that are a week or so old usually helps them peel easier. Or you can try this...IT WORKS..i promise..lol heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ki3-ASg9c8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the steaming. Too much trouble getting the pressure cooker out unless I am canning. I can also get eggs straight from the hen house, steam them and they will peel. The only problem I have with steaming is the yolk seems to settle all to one side. If I can come up with some type of tray to stand them up in the steamer I would be one happy camper!

      Thanks for the info Sandmann

      Delete
  15. I heard that if you rotate your eggs an hour before you cook them the yolks will settle in the center. I am trying the steaming method right now....will post back with my results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok just steamed up 10 eggs...and........it was so awesome!!!! I have never peeled eggs so fast in my life! Not 1 single flaw as I peeled them, and they taste awesome! Didn't need any salt. I used my eggs from my coop that were few weeks old, as I like to rotate. They were all gobbled up within 5 minutes...so I am now back to the kitchen to boil up more.....lol TY for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked this method! I don't boil any longer and there is no need to use old eggs either. You can use eggs just gathered with the same results. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  17. A foolproof way to ensure easy peel eggs is to use older eggs, or ones that have been at room temperature for a day or so. STORING EGGS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE IS NOT HARMFUL. As long as the eggs do not have cracks that break the membrane, they will not spoil.

    I have worked on a commercial chicken breeder farm for 2+ years where there are lots of eggs that get thrown out - doubles (2 yolks in one shell) and culls (too small or other problem - something that won't hatch), and I have found that unless that membrane is broken, and egg will not go bad at room temperature.

    Instead, pretty much the only thing that happens is that the air sac inside grows larger. This is what allows the egg to peel easily - once hard, the egg is able to release from the shell. After months of eggs at room temperature and/or in the fridge, I noticed an egg shrinks inside the shell. It still smells fine, but I wouldn't use them at that point. The white is nearly gone and the yolk is thicker - not spoiled, just sort of dried out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This proved to be the most wonderful guideline for the perfect peeled eggs. Thank you so very very much.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog