My one remaining beehive is still a mess in my book so today I just did what I wanted to do. If it works it works..if not, another lesson learned.
I put a honey super on the brood box a few weeks ago because my brood box looked to be honey bound. It had very little capped brood and only saw a few eggs. There was not much room at all for the queen to lay any eggs if she had wanted too. I took their sugar water away so they would eat some of the stored honey to give the queen more room.
To begin with I had a queen excluder between the brood and super. After doing much reading, I decided to remove it. Today when I checked the hive I thought I saw eggs in the super, later when I went back I couldn't find any. I also found what I am almost 99% sure is a queen cell on one of the frames in the brood box, it was not capped and I could see the larva.
I just took a nuc box and put the frame with what I think is a queen cell on it and other capped brood. I also put a frame of honey and 3 empty frames to make a total of five in the nuc. I shook a couple of frames of bees into the nuc. I put 2 empty frames in the brood box to replace the ones I took out. I added another honey super and a queen excluder this time. I then closed everything up.
I am not worried about the main hive as there are lots of bees and lots of honey in it. I'm worried about the little nuc. Don't know if I put enough bees in there to keep them warm on our cool nights. Worried that it may not be a queen cell and I did not see any eggs for the workers to make a queen. Worried that the bees will desert the little nuc and go back to the main hive. Our bee club suggest moving nucs 2 1/2 miles away for a couple of week, other folks don't so I am not going to. Jut plain old worried if I did the right thing.