I just finished my 3rd trial bucket and it has failed miserably. I am returning to the old store bought stuff until I have no other choice but to make it.
I guess our water must be too hard for it to clean properly or either all of us get our clothes dirtier than most people who rave about the stuff. I used the original recipe of 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap, 1/2 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup borax. The next bucket I doubled the washing soda and borax. The third bucket I doubled the washing soda, borax and used an entire bar of Zote bad mistake there. The entire bar made the batch like a very, very, thick jello instead of a gel.
If anyone has tweaked the detergent recipe and made it work for you....please let me know what you did. At least I have a lot of ingredients in storage if I can't get to the store for the powdered stuff. I did like the light scent that was left in the clothes. At least they didn't smell dirty!